B2B Lead Generation | 5 Tips for Developing Strong Buyer Personas
Buyer Personas are the foundation of great B2B marketing.
Personas are needed to tell you where to launch your campaigns, what topics to cover, what content you need, etc.
To understand why personas are so important and to see a sample, refer to my earlier blog post, Personas are Critical, Mr/Mrs CEO.
But I ask business leaders for “personas” in my day to day dealings with them, they almost always give me titles and industries, such as “We sell to heads of Human Resources, Chief Financial Officers and CIO’s.”
Those are NOT personas. Those are just people identifiers. They lack the depth of information to build great content.
To help you create personas in your business, let me share 5 tips for great personas.
1. Start with ideal customer profiles
To start developing personas, start with the ideal buyers of the products and services your company sells. We’re looking for the type of businesses. Who’s the best customer for you? Think of what problems you solve. What outcomes do these businesses get?
2. Identify titles and industries
Now that you know what companies to target, think about the titles that buy your products and services. Is it a VP of Manufacturing or Human Resources?What about IT? Who else is involved?
Your salespeople will know. Go ask them.
3. Ask all the questions (Thanks to Ten Ton Marketing for these questions.)
- What’s this person’s role in the buying process?Decision maker, champion, or influencer?
- What work issues keep this person up at night?
- What motivates this person to take action?
- How familiar is s/he with the solution you offer?
- What sources does this person turn to for information and daily news?
- How does the prospect go about making business decisions?
- What types of organizations does this person belong to and what events does he or she attend?
- Does this person seek advice from colleagues, industry peers, and/or unbiased third parties? If so, where?
- How is he or she dealing with the problem today?
- What phrases does the prospect use to describe the issues he or she is facing?
- Does this person prefer high-level details or a deep dive into a topic?
- What prevents this type of buyer from choosing us?
4. Leverage all contact points
To get answers to these questions, get information from all the places you can. Talk to people who deal with customers, like support and sales. Ask questions on Linkedin and Twitter. Create a survey in a tool like SurveyMonkey and have inside sales call to complete it. Participate in blogs and online communities.Ask questions and keep asking — till you get a 360 degree view.
5. Revise it every few months
Don’t think one and done. Personas are an endless quest for perfection. You’ll continually learn more and more. So periodically revisit your personas and make them better and better. Set bi-monthly meetings to review.
What do you think? We love comments and people who share our content. Click on Comments at the top of the article.
What do you think? We love comments and people who share.
Jeff Ogden is President of Find New Customers “Lead Generation Made Simple” Find New Customers helps companies rapidly grow revenue by transforming how they attract, engage and win new customers. Contact Find New Customers by calling (516) 495-9350 or sending an email to sales at findnewcustomers.com
Find New Customers helps companies (with 150 to 5,000 employees and complex products) deliver low cost lead generation developing and implementing marketing lead generation programs to improve the way you find and acquire high quality sales leads using best practices in b2b lead generation.