B2B Lead Generation: The 7 Keys to B2B Marketing Success
Working with the new client for the B2B lead generation consultancy Find New Customers, we’re coaching them on the basics of B2B marketing. This got me to thinking that a lot of companies could use a primer on the basics. After all, you have so many options today – it’s overwhelming.
By making sense out of it and focusing on the basics, we can help you save money and time.
(Please note that we linked each key to further information, so you can learn more about each key with a single click.)
Here are 7 Keys to B2B Marketing Success:
- Keywords – Start here. These are the terms people type into Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. for your products and services. Since 7 out of 10 searchers click on organic search, we focus on natural or organic search and not Pay per Click. Beside, SEO is an asset and PPC is an expense.
- Buyer Personas – This refers to deep insights into the afflictions and aspirations of your prospective buyers. The better you know them, the more effective you will be at selling them.
- Buying Process – Buying is a journey – from problem to solution. Think of yourself as a tour guide. Since you are going to help them on this journey, you better know the way.
- Agreed definition of a Lead – Sales is tired of crap leads. Give them what they want. But you need to first agree with them on what they really want. Talk to sales and ask them.
- Content Marketing – Think Like a Publisher – Buyers look for content throughout the process today. You need a consistent, ongoing, multi-channel marketing program. Blog updates, ebooks, white papers, webinars, events, videos, etc. Use the keywords you chose in Key 1. Come up with a plan, document it and get going. But don’t ever stop – keep publishing every week.
- Lead scoring – If you’ve done the previous five steps, traffic is way up. But how do we know when a buyer is ready to hand off to sales? This is where scoring comes into place. BANT is one key (Budget, Access to Power, Need and Timeframe) but you also need to rank behaviors – also called “digital body language.”
- Metrics – The only way to know how well we are doing is to measure the results. Come up with a set of simple metrics to track and measure your process.
What do you think? We love comments and our subscribers.
Jeff Ogden is President of the B2B lead generation consultancy, Find New Customers. We help companies with between 150 and 5,000 employees who sell complex products to businesses to implement world-class lead generation programs. As companies struggle to create quality sales opportunities, they turn to lead generation companies like Find New Customers.