B2B Lead Generation: Is a White Paper just great content or a great lead generation tool. What’s the difference?
In this post, we explain how to turn that great new white paper you just published into a superb lead generation tool — using the best-practice approach of one of our favorite companies, Kinaxis.
Do you want a trickle of leads or a flood? What are current best practices on white paper marketing?
Our white paper experience
We’ve penned 3 great white papers to date – all are free at Find New Customers.
- Lead generation – How to Find New Customers (Marketo)
- B2B sales – Definitive Guide to Making Quota (self) and
- Email marketing – Moving from Transactional to Conversational Email Marketing (Genius.com)
– so we know lots about this topic.
To illustrate, let’s look at an example of how to turn a nice white paper into a great lead generation program:
You post it. You tweet about it. You blog about it. What happens?
A handful of leads trickle in and you get some decent leads.
Is there a better way? There sure is.
Let’s look at the Kinaxis best practices approach. Use your keywords and everything points to the landing page:
Write and post the white paper to a landing page, then do these five additional things:
- Record and post a video interview of the author (YouTube)
- Record and post an audio summary with the author (iTunes)
- Commission a transcript of the video interview (blog articles)
- Build a slide presentations with audio from the author (SlideShare)
- Produce multiple small bite-sized summaries, like our new cheat sheet 7 Keys to Successful Lead Nurturing (Content marketing)
Post that content everywhere – such as Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon, Docstoc, Slideshare, etc. — each with a Call to Action for the landing page. (Like an offer.)
Use this approach with your next white paper and watch that trickle turn into a fast flowing stream of leads.
Do you have other tips on how to market a white paper? We love your comments (and respond to every one) and appreciate those who share.
Jeff Ogden (@fearlesscomp) is President of the B2B lead generation consultancy, Find New Customers. Find New Customers helps companies dramatically improve revenue results by transforming how they attract, engage and win new customers. Contact Find New Customers by calling (516) 495-9350 or sending an email to sales at findnewcustomers.com.