That comment came from Adele Revella of the Buyer Persona Institute.
Joe Pulizzi of the Content Marketing Institute said in his book Epic Content Marketing that “audience personas” are critical to content marketing (Chapter 10- The Audience Persona)
Both Joe and Adele are right. To create great content, you MUST have a deep understanding of your buyers!
What do you need to learn? I recommend Adele’s 5 Rings of Insight
- Priority Initiatives – Where is the buyer dedicating time, budget or political capital, regardless of your product or service?
- Success Factors – What do your prospective buyers identify as the rewards of success?
- Perceived Barriers – What personal or business obstacles could interfere with their chances of success?
- Buyers Journey – How does the buyer identify alternative solutions, weigh his or her options and arrive at a decision?
- Decision Criteria – How does the buyer arrive at a decision from his or her alternative solutions?
Getting answers to those five Rings of Insights requires open-ended interviews with recent buyers. Unless you are comfortable doing those kinds of interviews, I suggest you leave them to trained professionals.
Simply sending out a survey is NOT good enough, because you have to predefine questions in a survey. Buyer personas reveal the unexpected.
To learn about the Buyer Persona services offered by Find New Customers, please visit Get Better Results – Get to Know Your Buyers with Buyer Personas. By the way, I also completed the Buyer Persona Master Class at the Buyer Persona Institute, so I do have expertise here.
What do you think? We love to read your comments and appreciate those who share on social media too.
To contact me, send an email to jeff dot ogden at findnewcustomers.com please.